Special Circumstances/EFC Appeal
Please be advised, due to high volumes of incoming verification documentation, processing will take longer than usual. We must first process all Federal Verification and ensure all students have their initial award before processing Special Circumstances/EFC Appeals.
Because certain situations and events can affect a family’s ability to pay for college, it is important that you make us aware of unusual financial circumstances that you believe are not reflected accurately on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please understand that we have limits on what we can do, and submission of this form does not guarantee changes in aid eligibility, but we will look at your individual situation carefully.
This Professional Judgment EFC Appeal allows you to request a change in the input data in the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculation due to unusual circumstances. The Office of Financial Aid shall review your case upon successful completion and submission of the Web Form.
The results of this request for special financial circumstances consideration will be based on the individual circumstances outlined in the completion of this form. Please remember that submission of this form does not guarantee an adjustment to the student’s award. The student’s balance must be paid by the Fee Payment Deadline even if this request has not yet been completed/reviewed.
Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for additional information or if you have questions.
THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT CONSIDERED SPECIAL FINANCIAL CIRCUMSTANCES:
- Private elementary or secondary school tuition (unless required by learning disabilities and the like)
- Pending reduction in income due to fluctuating commissions, consumer debt (unless necessitated by economic hardship)
- Refusal of a parent to provide financial support to the applicant/student
- Anything that “might happen” in the future.
Note: If you already have an EFC of zero (0) there is no need to complete this form.
Please be sure the student’s FAFSA has been completed and all required documentation submitted before completing a Special Circumstances Form.
2017-2018 Special Circumstance Form (Fall 2017, Spring 2018, and Summer 2018)
2017-2018 Professional Judgment EFC Appeal Instructions
- For the 2017-2108 year the student will need to log into our verification software to submit their request. Please click on the appeal instructions link above for instructions on how to access the appeal form. *We cannot accept the 2016-2017 form for 2017-2018.*
Last updated: 8/4/2017