In preparation for degree completion and our commencement ceremonies, the following links offer important information to our graduating students, commencement guests, and the community.
Georgia Southern University currently holds commencement ceremonies at the end of Fall and Spring semesters. Students may walk at the graduation ceremony only after they complete all their coursework. This includes internships. The only exceptions are the students completing in the Summer semester. Summer Candidates completing all their degree requirements at the end of Summer semester are expected to walk in the Spring (May) Commencement. Doctoral students who complete all requirements at the end of Summer semester are expected to walk at the Fall (December) Commencement.
Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances which will not allow a student to come back to campus after their internship or to participate in their assigned ceremony. Students should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for special permission to participate in a different ceremony.
1. Application for Graduation
All candidates must submit an Application for Graduation.
Not attending commencement? If you are not planning to attend the commencement ceremony you must notify the Registrar’s Office. You may notify our office by submitting your request via our
Request to Graduate In Absentia form.
Please access your WINGS account through MyGeorgiaSouthern to enter a Diploma Address (DA) that is valid fourteen weeks after commencement for delivery of your diploma. If there is no Diploma Address (DA), the Permanent Home Address (MA) is used for mailing your diploma after all requirements are completed. Please be sure that you have paid the $35 graduation fee by logging into WINGS through your MyGeorgiaSouthern account or in person at the Cashier’s Window in Deal Hall.
The Registrar’s Office mails graduation letters and a commencement information brochure to candidates before the end of the semester. All students planning to participate in this semester’s commencement ceremony should pay careful attention to the detailed information presented in the brochure to ensure a smooth ceremony. An on-line version of the brochure will be posted at this site when it is available.
2. Graduation Fee
Every student receiving a degree must pay a graduation fee of $35. This may be paid online by logging into my.georgiasouthern.edu, or in person at the Cashier’s window in Deal Hall on Southern Drive (Sweetheart Circle). If you do not see the graduation fee posted on your account, please email the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com. Students completing two degrees on the same date will only pay $35. Your degree will not be awarded if you have not paid the graduation fee.
3. Student Actions That May Prevent Graduation
It is the student’s responsibility to follow-up with their advisor to ensure that their degree requirements are being met. The actions listed below could prevent a student from satisfying their graduation requirements in the desired term of completion:
- Withdrawing from (“dropping”) a required course.
- Receiving a failing grade in a required course or receiving a grade below that required by the program.
- Changing one’s major or degree program.
- Withdrawing from Georgia Southern University.
- Failure to meet any degree requirement (s) as specified and in the time stipulated on the Requirements Needed for Graduation agreement.
- Incurring a disciplinary action affecting the student’s enrollment.
- Academic and Financial obligations such as holds, parking tickets, obligations to the Library, National Direct Student Loan (NDSL) and the Business Office not met before the end of the graduation term.
4. Change of Expected Graduation Date
After applying for graduation, if a student changes his/her completion term, either to move it forward or to delay it to another term after application, the Registrar’s Office must be notified in order to plan his/her graduation correctly. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and advise on your new completion term.
Cap and Gown Reservation
Students may reserve their caps and gowns at the Spring Graduation Gala which is held each Spring during the month of March. Notices of the dates and times will be sent to all seniors. Reservations may also be made at www.herffjones.com/college/graduation.
Please give your height, weight, degree, and major. Measurements must be received by Herff Jones at least six weeks before commencement. Invitations, graduation photography, rings, and other items will also be available for purchase at the Gala. Cap and gown fees can be paid directly to the Herff-Jones Company when you place your order.
The graduates should receive diplomas in the mail approximately six to eight weeks after the end of each semester. Candidates are encouraged to update their diploma address (DA) and graduation and personal e-mail addresses on WINGS before the end of the semester in which they are completing their requirements. Major(s) and graduation with honors are noted on the diploma.
Graduates from the University Honors Program and University Honors Program 1906 Scholars will be noted on the diploma.
Diploma Replacement Request
Replacement diplomas may be ordered by using the Replacement Diploma Request Form link below.
Our policy is that diplomas and academic records must have the same last name. Therefore, diplomas will print with the same last name that is currently on your transcripts.
The price is $50 for all diplomas. Payment can be made by using the link below. All diplomas are size 12″ x 15″ and will include the University’s current name and signatures.
Replacement Diploma Request and Payment Form
Graduation with Honors
- Honors are computed by the Registrar’s Office and all questions concerning graduation with honors should be directed to that office.
- Honors are based upon all academic work attempted including all courses attempted at other institutions.
- At least 60 hours of the credits used to determine honors must be earned at Georgia Southern.
- To determine eligibility for recognition of graduation with honors at the ceremony, the student’s grade point average at the end of the term prior to the graduation ceremony will be used. After graduation and all final grades are recorded and all degree requirements are complete, honors are re-calculated and will be added to diplomas and transcripts if honors are achieved.
- GPA Criteria:
- Minimum average for a level of honors on all course work at Georgia Southern
- Minimum average for a level of honors on all undergraduate work
- Lowest GPA on record will determine the level of honors.
Detailed criteria regarding honors may be found by visiting the graduation requirement section in the University Catalog and viewing “Graduation with Honors.”Only baccalaureate degree candidates are eligible to graduate with honors. Students receiving honors will be notified by email before commencement. Further details will be contained in the graduation letter that is sent to each candidate.
Tickets for the Graduate Ceremony
Guest tickets will be required for all guests at the Graduate Ceremony on May 6, 2016 at the Hanner Fieldhouse. Each candidate will receive four (4) guest tickets.
- Candidates do not need a ticket to attend the ceremony.
- Candidates will need to bring their Eagle ID card or drivers license to pick up their tickets.
- Children under the age of two who can sit on a parents lap do not need a ticket.
- We encourage interested faculty and staff to speak with the Registrar’s Office to volunteer for the event to ensure admittance to the ceremony.
- All seating is first come first served, no reserved seating is available.
There is no charge associated with the guest tickets and will only be available for pick up on campus in the Registrar’s Office between March 28, 2016 and April 8, 2016.
Upcoming Commencement Ceremonies
Spring 2016 Graduation Ceremonies
Friday, May 6, 2016 at 1:00 p.m
Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 9:00 a.m
For information on hotels and restaurants in the area please visit http://visit-statesboro.com