Skip to main content

Military Spouses & Family

Apply Now

Military spouses and family members are an important part of the military team at home and on base, but you don’t have to overlook your own education. Georgia Southern makes it easier for you to manage family and your military lifestyle — and further your education – with a variety of flexible options.

Georgia Southern offers Certificates, Associate, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees in fields such as education and health professions. Take advantage of evening, online, or on-campus schedules and a variety of terms – from full semester to seven-week mini-mesters, four- or eight-week summer sessions, as a full- or part-time student.

VA Benefit Programs



  • Available to spouses of active duty Service members in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, and O1-O2;
  • Offers a maximum financial benefit of $4,000 with a fiscal year cap of $2,000;
  • Awards are applied to tuition;
  • Is limited to associate degrees, certifications, and licenses.
  • Begin by registering for MyCAA here. Once you have created your account and selected Georgia Southern University as your school, send an email with MyCAA and your student ID in the subject line to Phil Gore at to have your Education Training Plan created.
  • Once you receive your award, please fill out the Third-Party Billing Contract to notify the Bursar’s Office that you will be receiving funds from an outside agency. WARNING: If you do not complete the Third-Party Billing Contract prior to the payment deadline, you will be dropped from your classes and you will have to re-register.
  • Please Note: The My Career Advancement Account Scholarship is part of the Department of Defense Spouse Education and Career Opportunities (SECO) program. The scholarship is administered by, and awarded through, the Military OneSource Spouse Career Center. Georgia Southern staff will provide you with the Education and Training Plan (ETP) and show you how to create a My Career Advancement Account, but please remember that MyCAA Scholarships are awarded to you from a third-party, and not from the University.

The Landings Military Spouse Academic Relief Fund:

  • Available to spouses that have exhausted MyCAA benefits for the fiscal year;
  • Awards are used to help fund costs not covered by financial aid.

Please contact William Gammon at

for more information about this opportunity.

Scholarships for Military Family Members

Getting Started

While gaining admission to the university (see admissions website for details), students wishing to use VA education benefits should contact the School Certifying Official to begin the process of applying for VA benefits. The following documents should be presented to the Certifying Official when applying for benefits:
  • Certificate of Eligibility
  • DD-214 or have Official Military Transcript sent (if applicable)
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Last updated: 2/16/2022