Skip to main content

Army IgnitED

Ignited - Powered By Army Official Logo of Army IgnitED.

Georgia Southern University is a proud participant in the Army IgnitED program, formerly the GoArmyEd program. This enables U.S. enlisted soldiers to obtain professional technical certifications, associate, bachelor, and graduate degrees while they serve in the Army, Army Reserves, or National Guard.

To determine your eligibility, please check out the full eligibility requirements posted on the ArmyIgnitED website or contact your Education Services Officer (ESO) directly.

The Army Tuition Assistance Program

  • May cover up to $250 per credit hour
  • Fiscal year cap of $4000.
  • Maximum of 16 credit hours may be covered per fiscal year.
  • Georgia Southern has additional waivers to further reduce the cost of attendance.

Steps to Enrolling at Georgia Southern University

Step 1: Get Admitted

Apply to Georgia Southern

Request official transcripts from all previously attended colleges. If Georgia Southern is the first college you are attending, send your high school or GED transcript to

Step 2: Get Funded

Complete your Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for other federal aid

Apply for scholarships
***The Admissions scholarship application can be found on your status check page
***Other available scholarship opportunities can be found on the Military & Veteran Services scholarships page

Check your Residency Status under “Admission Status

If “Out of State” and you are:
Active duty military (or dependent) AND are stationed in Georgia – complete this form and send supporting
documents listed to

A recent veteran (or dependent) AND have established residency in Georgia – complete this form and send supporting documents listed to

Step 3: Get Enrolled

  • Register for a SOAR orientation session
  • Create your MyGS student portal
  • Complete the Pre-Advisement Course in Folio (found within your MyGS portal)
  • Attend your scheduled SOAR orientation session

Step 4: Request Benefits

After receiving your class schedule, go to to complete the Benefits Request form. This is found at the bottom of the second column, to request your Tuition Assistance to be processed by one of our team members. Finally, review the Enrollment Checklist to ensure you complete all necessary information.

Need Additional Assistance? Please contact us.

Army IgnitED Account ProcessingAmanda TomlinsonRussell Union (Statesboro Campus)atomlinson@georgiasouthern.eduM-F 8:00am-5:00pm912-478-6873
Army IgnitED Account ProcessingWilliam (Bill) GammonVictor Hall (Armstrong Campus)wgammon@georgiasouthern.eduM-F 8:00am-5:00pm912-344-3600
Military Student CoordinatorsCameron JonesRosenwald Building (Statesboro Campus)cdjones@georgiasouthern.eduM-F 8:00am-5:00pm912-478-8043
Military Student CoordinatorsRudy DueroVictor Hall (Armstrong Campus)rduero@georgiasouthern.eduM-F 8:00am-5:00pm
Application, Transcripts, SOARAdmissionsLewis Hall (Statesboro Campus)admissions@georgiasouthern.eduM-F 8:00am-5:00pm912-478-6872
Application, Transcripts, SOARAdmissionsVictor Hall (Armstrong Campus)admissions@georgiasouthern.eduM-F 8:00am-5:00pm912-478-6873
Application, Transcripts, SOARAdmissionsLiberty Building (Hinesville Campus)admissions@georgiasouthern.eduM-F 8:00am-5:00pm912-478-6874
Helpdesk for new studentsEnrollment ServicesStatesboro and Armstrong Campusenrollment@georgiasouthern.eduM-F 8:00am-5:00pm912-478-3675

Steps to Creating an Education Path in Army IgnitED

Log in to ArmyIgnitED

  1. From the Home Page, click Education Path.
    Note: If an Education Path has already been created skip to Step 12.
  2. Click Add Education Path to continue.
  3. Confirm your personal, contact, and education information.
  4. Click the yellow Next arrow.
  5. Choose the Education Level that you would like to pursue.
  6. Click the yellow Next arrow.
  7. Enter the Program of study you are interested in pursuing.
  8. Click the yellow Next arrow.
  9. Choose the education institution you would like to attend by entering either the name of the Education Institution or the state where it is located.
  10. Click Select next to the Education Institution of your choice.
  11. Click the yellow Next arrow.
  12. Click Submit for Approval once you have reviewed your information. Your request will then be sent to your Army Education Counselor for review.

What happens next?

If your Education Path request is approved, you will receive an email. Likewise, upon approval, your Army Education Counselor will automatically send your Education Path to the indicated Education Institution. After the Education Institution is notified of your Education Path request, they will send you an application to complete for their school. Once the application has been completed and returned, the Education Institution will notify you of its admissions decision. Additionally, if the cost of the course is higher than the amount that tuition assistance covers, you may qualify for the Tuition Assistance Top-Up program to cover the additional cost.

Not sure which education level is right for you?

Academic Certificate

An Academic Certificate is earned and awarded upon the successful completion of a brief course of study, usually one year or less but at times longer.

Associate’s Degree

An Associate’s Degree is earned and awarded upon the successful completion of a two-year course of study, often by a community or junior college.

Bachelor’s Degree

The Bachelor’s Degree is earned and awarded upon the successful completion of a four-year course of study, often at a higher education institution.

Master’s Degree

A Master’s Degree is earned and awarded upon the successful demonstration of mastery in a specific area of study, often one or two years of additional study following a bachelor’s degree.

Last updated: 7/11/2022