These helpful links allow faculty and staff to find relevant academic and registration information.
Attendance Verification Information
Federal regulations require the University to confirm that students are attending class before financial aid will be released to the students. Attendance must be verified for all students regardless of whether or not the student is receiving financial aid. Students will not receive aid for and will be dropped from classes for which attendance is not verified.
If an instructor has marked a student as Did Not Attend and the student is dropped from the roster, do not allow the student to continue in the course until he/she has gone through the proper process to be re-enrolled. If a seat is still available in the course during the drop/add period, the student can simply add your course back to his/her schedule. If the course needs to be added after the drop/add period, the student must contact the Associate Dean of the appropriate college for permission to enroll in the course. If the permission is granted, the Associate Dean will notify the Office of the Registrar to process the registration. The Office of the Registrar representative will add the student back to the course and verify his/her attendance.
Please remember the following points regarding attendance verification:
- IMPORTANT: A student’s financial aid will be impacted if an instructor does not provide accurate and timely submission of Attendance Verification for their course(s).
- The primary instructor is to verify attendance on the first day a course meets and throughout the add / drop period as students may register for your course after the first day. Attendance verification is done through the MyGeorgiaSouthern account rather than WINGS.
- Attendance is verified for all courses including non-lecture type such as directed study, thesis, practicum, internship, and online courses.
- Attendance verification is “re-submitted” to report attendance for students who add a course or start attending after the instructor has submitted the initial attendance verification. Students whose attendance has not been verified will appear at the top of the Attendance Verification Form.
- Students who were registered prior to the first day of the semester and are verified as Did Not Attend on the first day will be dropped from the course and will not receive financial aid for the course.
- Students who have added a course after the first day of the semester and have been marked as Did Not Attend will be removed from your roster after seven days.
- Attendance must also be verified for students who have a Hold Seat status in order for the student to receive financial aid for the course. If the student does not start attending following the date which the student was expected to return, the student is verified as Did Not Attend.
If additional assistance in submitting attendance information is needed, you should contact the Registrar’s Office at 912-478-5152 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attendance Verification Steps
- Log into your MyGeorgiaSouthern (MyGS) portal.
- Go to the Instructional Resources channel and click on Attendance Verification. (Click here for an example.)
- Next, you will see the course(es) that you are teaching. Before your course meets on the first day, one option is to click on Print Roster. This will print out the class roster so that you can take it to class and verify attendance. Other options for gathering attendance verification information may be used, such as an “Attendance Exam” in Folio. For larger class sizes, if needed, you may consult with your department chair for alternate methods of attendance verification. (Click here for an example.)
- After the class is completed, go back to your Attendance Verification, choose the appropriate class, and click on Enter Attendance. On the next screen under Attendance Status, choose the appropriate status (Attended, Did Not Attend, Hold Seat) for each student on your roster. (Click here for an example.)
- Next, click on Submit Attendance Verification to Registrar. This will then take you to the next screen, which is Attendance Verification Summary. Here you can review the attendance status of your course. After your review, click on Return to Portal, which will take you back to your MyGS portal.
- Take your printed course roster to each scheduled meeting and verify attendance for any newly registered student. (Repeat steps 4 and 5 above as necessary.)
- Instructors can verify that their Attendance Verification has recorded properly by asking their Department Administrative Assistant to open Banner and go to the form YFAATTD (Attendance Verification). The Attendance verification that you submit feeds into YFAATTD, and it is from this form that you can ensure that your submission has been properly documented for your course. Additionally, if you have an issue with submitting your Attendance Verification, then the Department Administrative Assistant can assist you by updating YFAATTD with your Attendance Verification data.
Important Note for Instructors with Online Courses:
- Under DOE guidance for online courses, you should only report a student as attending an online course once the student has completed an academically related activity such as an initial assignment or post. Merely logging in and viewing course material does not constitute attendance. You should also check with your Department Chair or Dean’s Office to determine if there is a policy in effect dealing with Attendance Verification for online courses. Please remember that students may have the ability to add the online course (if there are open seats or if there is a waitlist for the course) after you have done your initial attendance verification.
- Students in online courses are required to meet the same standards for Attendance Verification as in face-to-face courses. If the online student does not meet the instructor’s requirement to verify that they are attending the online class, then they must be marked as Did Not Attend. Once drop/add is over, you can print out your final roster for your records if needed.
Please contact the Registrar’s Office at 912-478-5152 or email email@example.com if you have questions concerning Attendance Verification.
Requesting Exemption from First Day Attendance
Students who have verifiable extenuating circumstances which prohibit them from attending the first day of classes must complete the First Day Exemption Request form available online through the My.GeorgiaSouthern portal. Once completed, the First Day Exemption Request form is sent via email to the Office of the Registrar and the course instructor(s). A First Day Exemption Request form must be completed for each class that a student will not be able to attend on the first day.
The Office of the Registrar only excuses an absence for the first day of class. Exceptions to attending the first day of class are made only for verifiable extenuating circumstances. Exceptions to attending the first day of class will not normally be made for any of the following reasons: wedding of the student, relative, or friend; part-time job or job interview; vacation; or convenience of travel schedule.
If the absence is approved by the Office of the Registrar, a seat will be held for the student and the student and appropriate instructor(s) will be notified via email. Student documentation for the absence should be sent to the Office of the Registrar within the first two weeks of class. Questions about this process can be directed to the Office of the Registrar or sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the absence is for more than one day, under most circumstances, only the course instructor and/or the provost can hold a seat for the student. Exceptions to the first day attendance policy will be approved only for emergency reasons, such as serious illness (a note from Health Services or a family physician will be required), the death of an immediate family member (a copy of the obituary will be required and an immediate family member is defined as one’s spouse, parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren, siblings, and immediate in-laws), court appearance, or military obligations (a copy of military orders will be required).
Requesting Exemption from First Day Attendance for Military Obligations
A student whose military obligations require his/her absence from class for more than the first day may seek an exemption from the class attendance policy. Students will begin the process by logging in My.GeorgiaSouthern.edu and selecting the First Day Exemption Request form. The student will then receive an email with the contact information of the college associate dean(s) he/she should contact to request an exemption from the class attendance policy. Students must also provide the associate dean(s) with a copy of their military orders.
The associate dean(s) will contact the appropriate department chair(s) and course instructor(s) with the exemption request. The course instructor(s) will carefully consider the request and will base their decision upon the course attendance policies and the student’s ability to address any missed coursework upon the student’s return.
Grades are due via Faculty WINGS within 48 hours after the last final examination is given for the semester. This time frame includes weekend hours. The only exception to this rule is for instructors with three or more exams on the same day (excluding the last day of exams). Instructors in this situation must contact the Registrar’s Office to make alternate arrangements (912-478-0283 or email@example.com).
The statement “Professor Grade Late” and the grade “NR” (not reported) will be entered if grades are not submitted in time to be processed. After the deadline, an online Grade Change Form will be available in Faculty WINGS the week of grade processing. This is the week after final exams. Once this grace period is over, an official paper “Change of Grade” Form on each student for whom a grade was not reported must be turned into the Registrar’s Office during normal working hours. Late grades may affect graduation or the academic standing of students; therefore, it is extremely important to submit grades on time.
The I (Incomplete) / IP (In Progress) online grade change form is available in Faculty WINGS year round. This online form can be used by professors needing to change “I” and “IP” grades only. This form will ONLY be accepted for I/IP grade changes.
Paper Grade Changes: (Use anytime other than the one week after grade processing.)
Once the week after final exams has passed and the grace period is over, all change of grades at this point must be submitted on a “Change of Grade” form with Dean’s and Chair’s signatures. Please allow 2-3 days upon receipt to process. Late grades may affect graduation or the academic standing of students; therefore, it is extremely important to submit grades on time.
Acquire “Change of Grade” Form from departmental secretary or Registrar’s Office. All forms must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office by faculty or staff members.
Instructions For Submitting Grades via Faculty WINGS
Go to My.GeorgiaSouthern.edu
Log into your MyGeorgiaSouthern account. (Your Username and password are the same as your Novell/Groupwise Account.)
If you have problems logging into MyGeorgiaSouthern, call the MyGeorgiaSouthern help desk at 912-478-5429
Click WINGS under the Service Group tab
Click on Faculty Services.
Click on Term Selection.
Use the pull-down menu to highlight the correct term and click on Submit Term.
Click on CRN Selection.
Use the pull-down menu to highlight the correct course to submit grades and click on Submit CRN.
Click on Final Grades. Use the pull-down menu to assign the correct grade by each student’s name.
For all students who made a grade of F, please enter the last date the student attended your class in the Last Attend Date column. If the student never attended, enter the first day of classes. If the student attended all term, enter the last day of classes. NOTE: Use the format of MM/DD/YYYY to enter Last Attendance Dates!
You will continue submitting grades in this manner until you reach record number 25 (unless your roll has fewer than 25 students).
Click on the Submit Grades button.
You will then click on the next set of records at the bottom of the screen (26-50, 51-75, etc.) and repeat the process to submit grades until all grades have been entered.
If you have more than one course, return to the Faculty Services menu by clicking on the menu icon at the top of the web page. Repeat all processes until grades have been submitted for all courses.
Remember to save your records at least every 15 minutes or you will be timed out of WINGS.
Make sure you exit WINGS by clicking on the word exit in the top right-hand corner of the page, then click on the X in the top right-hand corner to close your browser.
You will also need to make sure that you log out of your MyGeorgiaSouthern account.
After you have entered all of your grades and logged out of WINGS, please log back into WINGS, and double check that all grades were recorded correctly. You may print a copy for your records by using the print feature of your browser.
Explanation of Grades in the Grade Column
W – Student dropped the course on or before the last day to drop without academic penalty *OR* the student never attended the course. ***Please see comment below.
W/F – Enter either a W or WF grade. If the grade is left as W/F, the Registrar’s Office will assign a WF grade. It is suggested that the grade of W be given if the student is passing at the time of withdrawal.
WF – If a student withdraws from all classes after the last day to withdraw without academic penalty and is passing, it is recommended that the instructor assign a W. If a student withdraws from all classes after the last day to withdraw without penalty and is failing, it is recommended that the instructor assign a WF. The grade is the prerogative of the instructor unless the student has reached the maximum of five withdrawals. If the student has reached the maximum of five withdrawals, a WF will be assigned by the Office of the Registrar.
WM – Student withdrew from Georgia Southern University due to Military reasons (Withdrew Military).
WX – Student was Administratively Withdrawn; however, override the WX and assign a grade. Please remember to put a last attend date if the student earned a grade of “F”.
A B C D F – Official symbols used in reporting grades in a normal grading scale.
S U – Official symbols used in reporting grades in a satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading scale.
I – Incomplete grade; student was doing satisfactory work but was unable to complete the full requirements of the course due to non-academic reasons. An I must be removed by the end of one calendar year following the term in which it was received. Do NOT assign all I grades for an entire class. Justification is required for all “I” grades. You are responsible for keeping a record of all “I” grades assigned and the justification as to why you assigned the student the “I” grade. For auditing purposes, you are responsible for storage of the incomplete grade justification for two years. Upon retirement, resignation, or termination, you should leave the justifications with your department chair.
IP – This symbol indicates that credit has not been given in courses that require an “IP” continuation of work beyond the term for which the student signed up for the course. The use of this symbol is approved for dissertation and thesis hours and project courses. With the exception of Learning Support courses, this symbol cannot be used for other courses. This symbol cannot be substituted for an “I”. No justification is required for IP grades.
V or W – Student is auditing a course; a V grade should be given if student attended 75% of the class, or student should receive a grade of W.
***If a student has been assigned a grade of W in WINGS due to the status “Not Attending” and the student completed your course, please assign the student a grade. If the student stopped attending your course before the last day to drop without academic penalty and has the comment “Web Drop Course” or “Drop Course” in the status column by the grade of W – DO NOT CHANGE THE GRADE.
You have the ability to assign grades to students that do not appear on your grade roster for the term. For any student whose name does not appear on the WINGS roster, click on the Email About Grades link at the bottom of the Final Grades page and fill in the boxes. Be sure to choose the option “Student Not On Roll” and put the student’s grade in the Please explain box.
Feel free to contact our office if you have any questions during the submission of grades via WINGS. Please call the Office of the Registrar at 478-0862, 478-0283, or 478-0717.