Petition for In-State Tuition
In order to qualify for in-state tuition as a Georgia resident, you must demonstrate that you, your spouse, your parent, or your court-appointed guardian is a legal resident of Georgia for tuition purposes.
You may do so by providing documentation that supports your residency petition. Please note that establishing residency for tuition purposes, as defined by the Board of Regents, is different from establishing residency for voting, driver’s license, vehicle registration, or tax purposes. Click here to review the Tuition Classification Glossary of Terms. Please visit the Tuition Classification catalog page for additional information.
Out-of-State Tuition Waivers
Certain non-Georgia resident students may apply for an out-of-state tuition waiver to be assessed in-state tuition rates given specific conditions. Click here to view a complete list of available out-of-state tuition waiver options.
Important information to keep in mind regarding waivers.
- Waiver approval will not change the out-of-state classification to an in-state classification. The student will remain coded out of state.
- The waiver allows an out-of-state student to receive in-state tuition rates. The student will remain coded out of state.
- Undergraduate students with fully online course schedules are assessed the equivalent of in-state tuition rates automatically and will not generate out-of-state rates to be removed by a waiver. Only the rate updates, the description remains listed as out of state.
- However, this exception only applies to undergraduate, out-of-state students taking all online classes (campus 40) during the semester. Potentially adding any class other than course campus 40 later in the semester will cause your entire bill to reassess.
When registered for in-person, on-campus classes or a mixed schedule of on-campus and online courses you will see the rate of tuition increase and the waiver applied. If you have questions regarding the billing structure please contact the Bursar for a better understanding at email@example.com. Below is the link to the Bursar’s webpage for a comparison of in-state tuition rates and out-of-state tuition rates according to campus and the number of credit hours registered for in a semester.
Some waivers require annual recertification of eligibility others do not.
The Out of State Tuition Waivers that do not require recertification every semester or academic year are listed below. Once approved the waiver will roll forward each semester as long as the student remains continuously enrolled.*
- Georgia National Guard & U.S. Reservist Waiver
- Active Duty Military Waiver
- Recently Separated Military Waiver
- Non-resident Student Waiver
- Senior Citizen Exemption Waiver
- Border State Waiver
- Border County Waiver
* Continuous Enrollment: Enrollment without a break of more than one traditional academic semester. A student who is not enrolled for two or more consecutive traditional academic semesters is not considered continuously enrolled
Note: Spring and fall are considered traditional academic semesters. Summer is not considered a traditional academic semester.
Process and Forms
- Ensure you have completed your Verification of Lawful Presence.
- Petition for in-state tuition or an out-of-state tuition waiver by the deadline below.
- August 1 – Fall
- December 1 – Spring
- May 1 – Summer
- Complete the applicable petition or waiver request form by clicking the link below.
Petition for In-State Tuition and Out-of-State Waiver Intake Form
- Contact us if you have any questions.
Military Mandatory Fee Only Waivers
Certain Georgia and non-Georgia military students may apply for a fee only waiver given the specific conditions below.
- Military Mandatory Fee Waiver. Students who are currently serving full-time on active duty in a branch of the armed forces of the United States or serving members of the Military Reserves or National Guard (Titles 10 or 32) are eligible to request an exemption from Mandatory Fees at Georgia Southern University. If the military student is utilizing Federal Tuition Assistance (TA) or paying their own way they can be approved to receive the waiver. Students utilizing Veterans Education benefits do not qualify for the Military Mandatory Fee Waiver.
Last updated: 11/13/2023