Verification of Lawful Presence/Petition for In-State Tuition/Out-of-State Tuition Waivers/Military Out-of-State Tuition Waivers/Military Waivers of Mandatory Fees
Verification of Lawful Presence
In accordance with Board of Regents Policy 4.3.4
, all applicants who are accepted for admission or re-admission to Georgia Southern University are required to provide validation of lawful presence in the United States in order to receive in-state tuition or other state benefits. This must be completed along with the Petition for In-State tuition or out of state tuition waiver.
Petition for In-State Tuition
You must demonstrate that you, your parent, your spouse, or your U.S. court-appointed guardian (if you are a minor) is a legal resident of Georgia for tuition purposes. You may establish this claim by providing documentation to support the definition established by the Board of Regents. Please note that establishing residency for tuition purposes as defined by the Board of Regents is different from establishing residency with regards to voting, having a Georgia driver’s license or vehicle tag, etc., and it requires more than establishing eligibility to vote, securing a Georgia driver’s license, and/or paying taxes.
NEW undergraduate students must submit their petitions to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions: ( https://admissions.georgiasouthern.edu/already-applied/residency/ ).
NEW graduate students must submit their petitions to the College of Graduate Studies – Office of Graduate Admissions: (email@example.com).
CURRENTLY ENROLLED (students who have completed one or more semesters at Georgia Southern) undergraduate and graduate students must submit their petitions to the Office of the Registrar: (firstname.lastname@example.org).
SEMESTER DEADLINES for submitting a Petition for In-State Tuition.
Fall – August 1
Spring – December 1
Summer – May 1
The information below is available for all undergraduate and graduate out-of-state students to review. If you are eligible for one of the fee waivers listed below you may print the fee waiver of your choice, fill out the form and provide copies of the documentation required to support the fee waiver. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully.
Out-of-State Tuition Waivers
- Academic Common Market. Students selected to participate in a program offered through the Academic Common Market.
- Border County Waiver (Graduate Students Only) Graduate student residents of Jasper and Beaufort counties in South Carolina who have a primary campus of Armstrong or Liberty may receive the Border County Waiver.
- Border State Waiver (Undergraduate Students Only) Undergraduate students of Alabama, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
- Career Consular Officials. Career consular officers, their spouses, and their dependent children who are citizens of the foreign nation that their consular office represents and who are stationed and living in Georgia under orders of their respective governments.
- Economic Advantage Waiver. Click here for more information.
- Full-Time Public School and Technical College System of Georgia Employees and Their Spouses and Dependent Children Waiver. For full-time employees in the public schools of Georgia or of the Technical College System of Georgia, their spouses, and their dependent children.
- Full-Time University System of Georgia Employees and Their Spouses and Dependent Children Waiver. For full-time employees of the University System, their spouses, and their dependent children.
- Non-resident Student Waiver. Click here for more information.
- Presidential Waiver. Click here for more information.
- Senior Citizen Waiver. See Special Admission for Students Age 62 and Older in the Tuition Classification section of the catalog.
- Teachers Employed Full-Time on Military Bases Waiver
- Vocational Rehabilitation Waiver. For students enrolled in a University System of Georgia institution based on a referral by the Vocational Rehabilitation Program of the Georgia Department of Labor.
Military Out-of-State Tuition Waivers
Military Waivers of Mandatory Fees
Tuition Classification Glossary of Terms.
- Click here for complete list.
Last updated: 9/21/2020