Skip to main content


If you are needing to withdraw from Georgia Southern University for the current term or a future term, please review the information below to determine what type of withdrawal you will need to process with the Office of the Registrar.  Be sure to read over the material carefully.

Important Information regarding officially withdrawing from the University:

Officially withdrawing from the University means a student withdraws from all of their courses. Students who officially withdraw prior to the first day of classes for the semester will receive a credit for 100% refund of tuition-fee paid. Students officially withdrawing on or after the official first day of classes will owe a prorated tuition-fee amount. Any charges or refund amounts will display in WINGS approximately two to four weeks after classes begin.

Please note, student withdrawals as they relate to residence halls and food service charges are contained in agreements and/or contracts.

Questions may be directed to the Bursar’s office at

The withdrawal information below also has details about the Limited Withdrawal Policy that was implemented in the Fall of 2009.

Medical Withdrawals

Medical Withdrawals are handled through the Counseling Center. If a student is looking to obtain a Medical Withdrawal, contact the Counseling Center at (912) 478-5541. Medical Withdrawals will require documentation of significant physical or psychological impairments beyond the student’s control that interfered with the student’s ability to successfully meet academic requirements.

Military Withdrawals

A student who is called to active duty to serve in the military while attending courses at Georgia Southern is eligible to receive a Military Withdrawal. Students receiving this type of withdrawal are withdrawn as of the first day of University classes for the semester. A 100% refund is issued. The student will receive “WM” grades for all courses that s/he enrolled in during the semester. The “WM” grades that are assigned will not affect the student’s GPA. To process this type of withdrawal, the student needs to submit  a Withdrawal Form.  The student will need to provide the Office of the Registrar with a copy of his/her orders stating the date and place of deployment assigned by the military. Military withdrawals are exempt from the Policy Limiting Individual Course Withdrawals.

Voluntary Cancellation/Withdrawal

If a student wishes to discontinue enrollment prior to the first day of classes a Voluntary Cancellation Form should be submitted. Once classes begin, students must submit a Withdrawal Form. Both forms are available online by clicking here.

PLEASE NOTE!  This form will cancel/withdraw a student from ALL courses for the term chosen on the form.

Withdrawal Date Appeal Form

You may only submit this form for the term that is currently in session.  Retroactive withdrawal date appeals should be sent via email to the Office of the Provost (

Withdrawal Date Appeal Form – When a student submits a Voluntary Cancellation/Withdrawal Form, the withdrawal is processed using the date the form was submitted. If a special circumstance arises where a student needs to appeal the date of their withdrawal, a special form needs to be completed. Upon completion, the Dean of Students Office will review the information and determine if the appeal is approved. Additional information and supporting documents are extremely helpful in obtaining the appeal. Typically these documents include: professor confirmation of the last day attended, death notices or obituaries, doctor’s notes, etc. The Withdrawal Date Appeal Form can be accessed here.

Additional Information regarding Withdrawals is available on the Dean of Students Frequently Asked Questions about Withdrawals page.

Basic Policy

Undergraduates may withdraw from a maximum of six (6) courses for their entire enrollment at the University. Students who have reached their maximum number of withdrawals may elect to receive a “withdrawal-failing” (WF) grade in the course, which is calculated as an “F” for GPA purposes. A student who attempts to withdraw from a course beyond the limit without special permission from the dean of his or her college will continue to be enrolled in the course and will receive a grade at the end of the semester.

Only withdrawals incurred at Georgia Southern count toward the maximum number of withdrawals. Withdrawals incurred prior to the implementation date (Fall 2018) will not count toward students’ number of allowed withdrawals. Transfer students, irrespective of their classification upon enrolling at Georgia Southern, are also limited to six withdrawals at Georgia Southern.


Automatic exceptions are as follows:

  • Withdrawals are automatically exempt from the maximum number of withdrawals when students withdraw from all classes for hardship, military or personal reasons that are documented and approved.
  • Linked lecture-lab courses will count as a single course withdrawal.
  • Zero credit hour courses/labs are exempt from the maximum number of withdrawals.

Petitions for exception based on other circumstances are heard in the following manner:

  • Once the withdrawal limit is reached, students will only be allowed to withdraw from an individual course or courses for extenuating circumstances beyond their control. To withdraw without penalty in these cases, students must appeal in writing to the dean (or the dean’s designee) of their academic college (not, necessarily, the college in which the course is taught). Appeals for individual withdrawals are not heard unless the student has already reached the maximum number allowed.

Last updated: 3/12/2021